Sunday, September 14, 2014

Snow Lake

Tracking the stats to Adams

Today, managing to keep up with my friend, Leila, I climbed to the crest of the Snow Lake trail (Exit 52 near Washington's Snoqualmie Pass), descended to the lake, and then retraced our steps for a distance of 8 miles and an elevation gain of 1,000 vertical feet. (http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/snow-lake-1)

Stunning Snow Lake, September 14, 2014. Hike starts at exit 52 near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington

A new direction: Today's hike represents a slight mid-course correction. In anticipation of a more aggressive program for my 70th Birthday hike, I'm going to start accumulating statistics. I'm counting four hikes, beginning with a hike on Rattlesnake Ledge Aug. 29 with my friend, Tammi: 4 miles, and a 1,160-foot elevation gain.

I climbed Rattlesnake Ledge a second time this fall on Sept. 7 with Roger Matthews. Then, on Sepember 12, Roger and I  hiked 3.2 miles up McDonald Mountain near Kangley, WA, for a 1,000-foot gain.


So the accumulation at this point is roughly 19 miles and 4,200 vertical feet.

I have established what I believe is a realistic training objective prior to climbing Adams--70,000 vertical feet. My real objective, however, is a  100,000 feet vertical gain before July 26, 2015, not counting the Adams climb, which will be an additional 6,000 vertical feet.

If anyone wants to join me on these training climbs, I'd love to have you along.

Why the stats? In the next blog I'll be telling you why I'm keeping these stats.

Love,

Robert


No comments:

Post a Comment