Monday, September 22, 2014

Thank you for your support

How quickly  little problems are resolved. The solution came within a day. And within a week, Wilson will be able to hike totally free of claustrophobia, thanks to the suggestions that poured in when you readers realized how confining his tote bag was. Now fellow hikers will be able to see Wilson as he bobs his way uphill as we train for the Mount Adams climb, instead of him being hidden in an opaque bag that generates no curiosity.

The offending container

The process was fascinating in its brevity, and the solution turned out to be sex-linked. Male respondents showed an inclination to rely on a sports-connected solution, whereas female respondents followed a more distaff path. Of course, the solution--something only a mother would think of--came so quickly that the response sample was fairly small.

Roger, my hiking buddy, suggested a basketball net. He must think I'm some sort of macrame jedi knight who's going to figure out how to knot a basketball hoop shut and attach it to my backpack. Like that's going to happen. Knot! Uh, no, wait, I misspelled that. What I meant to say was "NOT!"

The first one to suggest the ultimate solution was Marilyn Rowan, the upperclasswoman with the flowing Rapunzelian locks who fixed her large eyes on me one night in the darkness of the high school auditorium and indelibly impressed on my memory what a Valkyrie must have looked like. Of course Marilyn is a little more matronly now, some 50 years later, but she has exploited her Germanic roots by visiting the Reichland many times over the years. Her Teutonic experience is turning out to be very helpful, because she also recently made suggestions on what to look for in October when Wilson and I go to Nuremberg to visit my first born and his lovely Frau Richman.

Anyway, Marilyn suggested  a seashell bag, which I've ordered from Amazon for $3.95 plus $3 shipping. It comes complete with a book for identifying sea shells. Well, I'm hiking, not diving, but I  think  I'm stuck with the book, for now. Goodwill Industries will be grateful. And Wilson will be noticed and autographed, which is what's appropriate for the Hiking Ambassador of the Indestructible One World Futbol.

The $3.95 solution


The only disappointment is that no-one offered me her mesh net tango pantyhose. That would have been a real conversation starter on the trail, but I have to go with what I got.

Again, thank you for your response. Now I have to get, because in just a few minutes, Wilson and I leave for the ferry to Bainbridge Island, and another hike.

Love,
Robert, and Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment