Sunday, March 15, 2015

Marathonus interruptus

Or actually, postponedus

"Death is nature's way of telling you it's time to slow down."


Sunday, 8:30 a.m.
When I was a young second lieutenant attending Defense Information School to learn how to be an Air Force Information Officer, an Army major conducting a lecture one day shared a homily with our class that I have never forgotten:

Death is nature's way of telling you it's time to slow down.
Translation: There's always tomorrow. (Or, in this case, Tuesday.)

It's raining. It's really raining. There are about 13,000 people lined up at this moment to make the 5-K St. Patrick's Day Dash from Seattle Center down Fourth Avenue, and they're going to get soaked.

Because it's raining. 100 percent chance of rain today.

Charlie Brown also liked to say that "it's only a little rain." Yeah. Right.

Meanwhile, I am sitting at my computer smirking because I've moved the Madison Street Marathon to the real St. Patrick's Day -- Tuesday!

For being two days early, they get wet.

For being two days late (I was going to do our Marathon on the Ides of March), I have a pretty good chance of staying dry.

What's not to like?

After all, the story about Pheidippides running the original Marathon makes absolutely no mention of rain.

So by virtue of the power vested in me (by dint of the fact that this is a one-man, nine-futbol Marathon, with me being the man) I am postponing, for two days, my long hike up and down Capitol Hill nine times  and laughing at the besotted leprechaun's.

Of course, Wilson doesn't care one way or the other. Wilson--and his eight kin who are going along for the ride --is indestructible. But I'm not.

Love,

Robert,
and Wilson,







and Wilson's Kindred Marathoners:




No comments:

Post a Comment