Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The Pathfinder Reports

Somewhere in Ecuador--I'm not sure exactly where she is, but the retired physician's assistant who talked me into going to Ecuador has arrived with two One World Futbols. She's on the ground and ready to deliver the indestructibles and begin her volunteer work with representatives of the Mayo Clinic. What follows is Melanie Wood's first dispatch.


Melanie Wood

Suyana (Quechua for "hope") and Amaru ("Sacred Serpent") are great travelers.  They have not complained about being stuffed in a dark bag, festive as it is, in the cold luggage hold of a passenger jet for 12 hours on the way from Seattle to Quito, Ecuador.  (Although when I unpacked them and set them out in my hotel room, I thought I heard a slight sigh from one of them.)
 I’d been telling them where we’re going and that they were going to spend their lives at an orphanage with children who are going to love them like the wonderful beings they are.  They are so excited to begin their new life.  I hope all of Wilson’s kin are so lucky!

Suyana and Amaru decompress after a long flight.

And I am excited to be in Ecuador serving with some volunteer doctors and nurses from Rochester’s famous Mayo Clinic.  They’ve come here every year for 12 years to do orthopedic surgeries on children with congenital bone and joint problems, or to “fix” fractures that didn’t heal.  
There is no charge to their parents.  This is the second year I’ve volunteered.  It’s the best gig ever!  Fundacion de los Ninos de Santa Lucas, founded by Kate Whelp, RN, manages the clinic.  Many local physicians and nurses volunteer their time as well.  
Below is a photo of what was surely the cutest baby we saw for evaluation. (check out that hair!)  Fortunately, he didn’t need any surgery.

Mayo Clinic doctor meets with Ecuadorean family.

 This year there are 10 American children, mostly teenagers, who accompanied their parents and they’ll be spending their time at the orphanage just outside town (where Suyana and Amaru will live), teaching arts and crafts and playing games with the children.  I’ve asked the more artistic of the bunch to write the names on Wilson’s kin, as well as theirs.  I’ve written my name, Robert’s and Wilson’s.
While I’m here I hope to do some short public health talks to the parents of these kids, covering basics like nutrition, hand washing, and dental care.  We have a great local American translator who will help me because my Spanish isn’t that good yet.  Stay tuned on how it’s received.
Well, boots are on the ground. We'll have more to share in the coming days.

Love,
Robert, Melanie,
and Wilson






No comments:

Post a Comment