Saturday, March 28, 2015

Naming the Ecuadorean futbols

Here’s some nice news: Delta Airlines allows for two free checked bags for flights to Ecuador. That means I can personally convey nine One World Futbols to Quito, including Wilson. I was afraid that, being a skinflint, I would have to choose between luggage fees or leaving someone behind this trip, and I didn’t want it to be Wilson. We’ve been through so much together.

But I digress it’s time to name the futbols that are going to be enriching the lives of some Ecuadoreans. I have a list of donors who put in their bid for the 10 futbols heading to Ecuador and a few names they requested. And here they are:

Futbols 1-2: Darlene Burt, whom I have known since the third grade, when she gently shoved my head against a small window pane in a portable at Willard Grade School in Spokane, breaking it and sending me on a trip to the principal’s office,  donated two futbols. (Is that payback?) Darlene noted that she lived in Kenya for three years. “I know children love soccer and have to invent their own toys,” she said. She wanted the Spanish word, “Ganador,” for winner. She hasn’t come up with a second name yet.

Futbols 3-4. Mary Jane Gibson, a marvelous wildlife photographer, purchased two, and came up with only one name so far, “Carmen.”  By the way, immediately below there’s a great photo that Mary Jane shot. She allowed me to add the caption, inspired by a Meg Ryan/Billy Crystal movie which requires no further identification.

Futbol 5. Marianne Shey, a tango dancer,  has yet to come up with a name, so we’ll hold that slot open.

Futbols 6-8. Diana Baker, who spends half her life in Washington and the other half in Maui, provided lodging for Wilson and me when we hiked Haleakala Volcano.  Diana sponsored three futbols. I think we should name one for her – Diana. But she came up with some Quechua names as well, after perusing the Internet: Suri (fast, like an ostrich) and Atoc (sly as a fox). Those are boys names and appropriate for soccer. (Diana is too, because that was the goddess of the hunt.)

Diana also came up with Sonco (he who has a good and noble heart), which I’m going to hold in abeyance in case someone has a name slot they want to fit that one in.

Futbol 9. Patricio Touceda, a tango instructor, has been nicknamed “Pato” by his wife, Eva. It’s a term of endearment that means “Duck,” and while that may seem strange, “ducky” was a term of endearment in English a few decades ago.

Futbol 10. Now here’s a problem I have to resolve. During the Madison Street Marathon, Wilson, his kin and I met Joe Colgan, a somewhat well-known peace activist whose son was killed by a roadside bomb in Baghdad. When Joe heard about the One World Futbol, he made a donation right on the spot.

Peace activist Joe Colgan, left.

Joe’s son’s name was Ben. Joe had the option of naming the ball for his son, but we’ve lost contact and he hasn’t clarified his desire, and I’m not likely to see him before the calligraphy session Monday. So should we name the ball “Ben,” or “Colgan,” or what? I’ll figure it out, but I’m open to suggestions.

11. Gail Bennett, a long-time friend and operator of a Christmas tree farm in Pacific wanted a ball named José.

12. Brenda Campbell, a past ballroom dancer who I had the pleasure to meet some time ago wanted to name her ball “Joy.” The Spanish word is Alegría.

13. And in honor of my traveling companion’s deceased foster Airedale terrier, I’m going to name one Shrek.

Well, OK, that’s 13, and I’m only taking 10 to Ecuador. But Darlene, Mary Jane and Marianne haven’t used up their complete name allocations, so I think we’re covered.

 But I may add some names and save “Shrek” for May, when I join a bunch of Catholics from St. John Vianney Parish in Kirkland who are flying to Tijuana to build a house for a family that needs one. I’m betting Tijuana kids will be more familiar with the name, Shrek, than Ecuadorean kids.

Here are some other Quechua names:

Anca (Black Eagle), Asto (Bird of the Andes) and Amaru (Sacred Serpent). These are all boys names.
Sofia Valdivieso

And Sofia Valdivieso, the administrative director for the Simon Bolivar language school in Quito came up with additional names—for girls:  Tamia (“Rain”—her daughter’s name); Sisa (Flower) and Suyana (Hope).

At this particular moment, 86 futbols have been purchased for donation. I, Wilson, the kin, the folks at One World Play Project, and my friends-to-be in Ecuador appreciate the gifts. Thank you.

Love,

Robert, and
Wilson






No comments:

Post a Comment